Hijackals are good at emotional blackmail.
They are experts at the “Gotcha!” And, they constantly use it to their advantage. Learn more about the components of that blackmail and how to counteract them. Then, Hijackals will fail to succeed at using it against you effectively!
Learn what you can do to respond in empowering ways when narcissistic, borderline, or anti-social folks try to control you using emotional blackmail. This episode will help you understand how that emotional blackmail shows up, what its desired result is, and how to say no to it.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS EPISODE:
- The connection between blackmail and emotional blackmail
- Dr. Susan Forward’s book, Emotional Blackmail: When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You
- How a pattern of emotional blackmail is established and maintained
- Better strategies than compliance when a narcissistic person uses emotional blackmail
- Responding to emotional blackmail purposefully to emerge empowered
Healthier people aren’t looking to control you. They care what you want, think, feel, and need. Hijackals don’t. So, you need strategies for working within yourself and with the Hijackal to stop the emotional blackmail.
Emotional blackmail according to Dr. Susan Forward: “when people close to us threaten, directly or indirectly punish us, when we don’t do what they want.” Does that sound familiar? You can stop it. Listen in.
Want strategies and support to withstand emotional blackmail. I’m here to help.
Let’s talk soon.
Here are some other episodes that you might find helpful: